Monday, June 4, 2012

A Magical Cat in Orlando

Sometimes you get the magic, sometimes the magic gets you. As my big black jeep and I hit the Florida turnpike I had the probability of meeting a magician who worked in Orlando. Even Mickey Mouse seemed to foretell a magical meeting as even at the rest stop there was his statue with "share the magic" written below. Orlando wreaks of "magic" you can practically smell the magic in the air. Actually that's the burnt gunpowder from a dozen different fireworks shows that seem to appear nightly in and around The Magic Kingdom. But my trip to this city, in which magic itself resonates, was not to meet a conjuror of sorts. (Even though his credit card said "magic" on it.) And fortunately for me it made dinner and a couple of drinks appear. Let me explain.

The word magic, has magic in it.
Years ago when I first penned The Magic Life I put the chapters on the Internet one at a time, in a newsgroup for writers. At that time the book wasn't even called The Magic Life, but rather The Magic One.

There were no clever "maxims" at the beginning of each chapter, and the dream sequences weren't even in the book. For those of you who read the hard copy version, it would be quite a different book. However there were many for whom the book still resonated and they wrote to me telling me so.

One such person was a guy named "Tim Roebuck." He was 25 at the time and living in Virginia Beach. If you own the book, you'll see he has his comments included on the back cover. He said,  
"You have given a gift. Your words of encouragement and hope, intricately woven into a well structured novel, enraptured me. It was very entertaining, while pulling on the very core of existence. ...Thank you for your gift."
An original "magic lifer."
Tim and I have kept in touch over the year,s as I have with a few of the early readers, who have watched the book come from such humble beginnings to be so well received. Well when I proposed this trip, Tim, was one of the first to contact me with a generous offer to come stay at his home in Orlando. So after I re-routed my trip, I said that I'd love to meet him after all these many years. Here is a guy that I've never met and really only had a dozen contacts with over 15 years and when I met him, within minutes I felt as though we had been old friends for many years.
Angi the cute and sweet bartender.

Tim took me out and knowing my reputation, it was to a place which made amazing margaritas. He must have also known my preference for cute bartenders as he seemed to have supplied that also. I sat with Tim and discussed many magical things in life. He told me as if I were his true confident of the many trials which he as been through over the years and as he did it became evident why I found myself with this "magic lifer." I was there for a reason.

So many times in my magic life, I find myself being drawn to people who are having self doubt about following their passions. I asked Tim if he had ever imagined, when he read my manuscript so many years ago, if he would ever in his wildest dreams sitting across from his table drinking morning coffee. I was surprised at his answer. He said, "actually I knew we'd meet someday."

Two future millionaire entrepreneurs
Well, I realized at that moment that it was he who manifested this reality. And in truth "he" simply asked me to come see him. Imagine me finding a reader who read the book 14 years ago and now finds he needs the advice more than ever. Tim, who works for Deloitte and Touche, was having doubts about starting his own photography business. And believe me, he is a great photographer.

I tried to give him some solid advice about following his dreams, to take it slow and ease himself into that direction as he could afford the time and money. But to be sure and take the extra effort that it requires to move that direction. And to start now. The happiness he received as reward would be worth the work.

World's softest cat
But then I was doubly surprised to see his wife, Lisa, was also starting a business and had just put up a website. The product pictures were fantastic, one with their cat, (who is just as soft as the blankets) and of course her husband had taken them. I helped her a little with the website and I absolutely loved her product. They are these amazingly soft personalized baby blankets. She has an amazing eye and touch for the fabric. You touch them and want to snuggle them. Please check them out if you have a baby or someone who does. Or even if you have a cat that want's one. I know I'll be getting one of these for someone on this trip. They are simply magical and so are these two "magic life" people.

Of course I couldn't leave without performing a little of the other kind of magic. Tim and Lisa's girls really enjoyed seeing two rubber bands pass through each other and of course my fave, the kings and queens card trick. Tim did video tape it, so hopefully I'll have it on here soon.





No comments:

Post a Comment